Ola vs Uber Business Performance
Ola has ~155,000 drivers in its network; more than ~120,000 or ~75% log in daily
- In Metros, the drivers who don’t login are often absentees who would have taken a break on account of working extra hours the previous day
- Poor awareness and low demand is the reason why % of drivers logging is lower in smaller cities
Ola delivers more than ~3.5X rides per day as compared to Uber
- For Ola, around ~75% or ~190,000 rides delivered per day in top 7 cities (metros) and ~85% of the rides were delivered in the top 10-12 cities
- Ubers’s rides per day have been growing rapidly at 30-40% m-o-m driven by its low priced UberGo versions
- Additionally, the growth has been driven by Uber’s Kolkata launch as the city has been one of the fastest growth areas for Uber in India
' Ola's average daily rides are growing at nearly ~10% m-o-m for the last few months. '
'60-70% of all Ola rides are delivered are in Ola Mini, 25-30% in Sedan and ~5% for Kaali Peeli and Prime'
Ola's GMV is ~4X that of Uber GMV; its average fare is expected to stabilize near the ~USD 4 mark going forward
- For Ola, average fare varies by car type
- Ola Mini average fares are ~Rs 200 (USD 3.3 ) while it is Rs 300+ (~USD 5 ) for sedan
- Average fare in smaller cities (Tier 2+) is ~ Rs 280+ and the cabs in these cities are used for airport/railway station drops and rarely for short commutes
” Over the rest of 2015 and also over the next 1-2 years, we expect that the average pan India fare for Ola would stabilize in the Rs ~240-250 range as the share of people in smaller cities using cabs even for shorter distance rides increases and they start reducing their car usage.'
This document contains the entire comparison between the performance of OLA GMV and Uber GMV across key parameters such as GBV, customer metrics, driver incentives. It also includes a view on the expected growth of the industry.