The Power of Exclusive Sales – Amazon Prime Day UAE 2020
Consumers took advantage of the ~3000 deals on Amazon UAE during Prime Day which offered an average discount of 25-30%.
1. But first, let’s set some context – How has Prime Day performed in the USA all these years?
From the first Prime Day in 2015 to 2019, this mega-sales event has come a long way in USA –
- One-day GMV went up 7x during the period
- The number of prime members in USA went up 2x
- And the spend per buyer during Prime Day went up a whopping 7x
Needless to say, consumers were thrilled with the new offering.
Amazon USA – Prime Day Daily GMV
(2015 to 2019) ($ Bn)
2. And where does UAE stand?
Despite the launch of Prime Day being a recent occurrence in the region, consumers quickly took advantage of the new sales event. Consumers in UAE are digitally savvy, with high awareness and usage of online shopping channels. As per our research, –
- 85% of respondents were aware of Prime Day
- 50% of respondents had a Prime Membership
- 35% of respondents had shopped during Prime Day 2020
As per our estimates, this has translated into a one-day sales figures of ~$5Mn in 2020, up 60% since last year.
Amazon UAE – Prime Day Daily GMV, ($ Mn)
Prime Shopper Funnel – UAE, (% of respondents)
3. Lastly, what excited the customer?
Consumers took advantage of the ~3000 deals on Amazon UAE during Prime Day which offered an average discount of 25-30%. The most popular categories were Electronics and Fashion with certain products like headphones and watches being favorites. Unsurprisingly, the deciding factor for the purchase decision was primarily the deal – those who purchased said it was because of the deal available for the desired product; while those who did not purchase did so because their desired product was not on discount. The Average Order Value is estimated at AED 300 – 350 during the sales period.
Note– Average order value during Prime day was ~300-350 AED